With the implementation of the Private Education Act in December 2009, a Council for Private Education (CPE) was established to regulate the private education sector in Singapore. All Private Education Institutes (PEIs) are required to comply with the regulations under the act in order to operate. Following regulations, Hillside World Academy implemented 4 schemes: the Fee Protection Scheme, the Medical Protection Scheme, the Transfer and Withdrawal Policy, and the Refund Policy.
All students are briefed on the schemes at the point of enrolment and during Student Orientation programme. Details of the scheme are also available on the Standard PEI-Student Contract, Student Handbook and prominent locations within the school premise. For more information on CPE regulatory requirements, you may visit their website here. Alternatively, you may contact us at our Student Support Office for assistance.
The Fee Protection Scheme (FPS) serves to protect students' fees in the event that a Private Education Institution (PEI) is unable to continue operating due to insolvency, and/or regulatory closure in full compliance with the EduTrust guidelines set by CPE. The scheme also protects the students if the PEI fails to pay penalties or return fees to the students arising from judgments made against it by the Singapore courts.
In compliance with the FPS, Hillside World Academy provides fee protection for the fees paid by our students in the form of an Insurance Protection Scheme. Our school appointed Lonpac Insurance Berhad to be the FPS provider for all students. This insurance coverage covers the entire course fee.
HWA FPS Insurance
Under the FPS, Hillside World Academy will proceed to buy fee protection insurance from Lonpac Insurance Berhad within the same day when we receive the payment of fees, and within 3 days if the payment is made by telegraphic transfer or e-banking. Insurance coverage takes effect on the day of school fee payment, and students will receive a copy of the insurance certificate printed with their names.
Please note that the FPS is compulsory for all local and international students taking programmes at PEIs seeking EduTrust certification. Under the prevailing FPS guidelines, students should not make fees payment exceeding the 6 months course fee (before EduTrust certification) or 12 months course fee (after EduTrust certification).
How to Verify the FPS Insurance
Step 1: Before enrolment, please check the School's website for presence of approval letter from Lonpac Insurance Berhad.
Step 2: Upon enrolment, i.e. signing of the student contract, please check that insurance protection is included in the contract.
Step 3: Receive a copy of the insurance certificate under the student's name.
Step 4: Verify the status of fee protection via HWA Student Portal.
Hillside World Academy appointed
Tokio Marine Insurance Singapore Ltd
as our official medical insurance provider. All students will be insured with the Hospital and Surgical Plan for the entire course duration in school.
Under the CPE, hospitalisation and surgical insurance coverage is compulsory for all international students. Singaporean/PR students with existing medical insurance coverage of $20,000 and above may opt-out of this scheme. For students with no medical protection, Hillside World Academy will proceed to purchase the insurance on their behalf at a fee of $42.80 per semester (inclusive of GST).
Once purchased, students, parents or guardians are encouraged to read and be familiar with the benefits illustration and the Exclusion Clause, so that they are well aware of which medical treatments are claimable, and which are not.
Students who wish to transfer/withdraw from their course of study must complete a prescribed Student Request Form and submit to the Student Support Office. The transfer/withdrawal policy has clear definition on transfer/withdrawal from existing course; fees refund; and cancellation/transfer of student’s pass (if applicable). The transfer/withdrawal process involves a compulsory exit interview with the student.
The school transfer and/or withdrawal policies procedure are contained in student handbook and can be found on the school website. The procedure is as follow:
- If the student is below the age of 18, the transfer/withdrawal request must be signed by parents,
- The request shall be submitted to the Student Support Office.
- Student Support Office shall forward the request to the management team for approval in consultation with the relevant School Head.
- The Student Support Office will issue a formal letter to student to effect (or reject if otherwise) the transfer/withdrawal.
- Upon approval of the transfer or withdrawal, the request will be forwarded to the Finance Office for determination of any fee implication.
- Finance Office shall upon determination inform student in writing on refundable amount if any, copying Student Support Office to complete the Withdrawal Checklist procedure. In the case if there is no refund entitlement, Finance Office shall inform Student Support Office for follow up with student directly to complete the Withdrawal Checklist procedure.
- Upon completion of withdrawal procedure, Student Support Office shall inform ICA to cancel the student pass (if applicable) on the student’s last day with HWA and inform the FPS provider of any cancellation within 3 working days.
- The Standard PEI-Student contract shall then be deemed as terminated upon completion of the withdrawal procedure.
- If required, student may request the Student Support Office to issue past attendance records for enrollment to another course at another PEI.
The transfer/withdrawal request must be completed within 7 working days after receiving the written notice.
Transfer of course within HWA
For transfer to another course within HWA, the procedure (i) to (v) above shall apply. A new Standard PEI-Student Contract must be executed when a transfer request is approved to supercede the original enrolled course contract and creation of the new course portfolio data in the SMS. Relevant information shall also followed to ICA and FPS provider as applicable.
Student Support Office shall administer the various transfer matters which include:
- cancellation of the student pass and applying for a new one with ICA.
- informing the FPS provider.
- transferring the student’s account to the new course (unused fee, how much to top up, etc).
All students are briefed on the Transfer and Withdrawal Policy at the point of enrolment and during the Student Orientation program. Full details of the policy are also available on HWA’s website, Standard PEI-Student Contract and Student Handbook which is also available on HWA’s website.
Refund for Withdrawal Due to Non-Delivery of Course:
HWA shall inform the Student immediately within three (3) working days if
- It does not commence the Course on the Course Commencement Date;
- It terminates the Course prior to the Course Commencement Date;
- It does not complete the Course by the Course Completion Date;
- It terminates the Course before the Course Completion Date;
- It has not ensured that the Student meets the course entry or matriculation requirement as set by the school stated in Schedule A (of the Standard PEI-Student Contract) within any stipulated timeline set by CPE; or
- The Student’s Pass application is rejected by Immigration and Checkpoint Authority (ICA).
HWA shall notify the Student in writing of above circumstances, provide the Student with information and details of the alternative confirmed course arrangement to allow the Student to make timely and appropriate decision on the alternative arrangement. The Student shall be entitled to a refund of the entire Course Fees and Miscellaneous Fees already paid should the student decide to withdraw, within seven (7) working days of the above notice.
Refund for Withdrawal Due to Other Reasons:
If the Student withdraws from the Course for any reason other than those stated in Clause 2.1 of the Standard Student Contract, HWA will, within seven (7) working days of receiving the Student’s written notice of withdrawal, refund the Student an amount based on our refund policy as contained in Schedule D (of the Standard PEI-Student Contract).
Refund During Cooling Period:
HWA will provide the Student with a cooling-off period of seven (7) working days after the date that the Contract has been signed by both parties. The Student will be refunded the highest percentage (stated in Schedule D of the Standard PEI-Student Contract) of the fees already paid if the Student submits a written notice of withdrawal to HWA within the cooling-off period, regardless of whether the Student has started the course or not.
HWA REFUND PROCEDURE
All refund request procedure is contained in the student handbook and also found on the school’s website. Student must submit a written refund request to the Student Support Office. Student Support Office shall forward the refund request to the top management for approval. Upon approval the refund request will then be routed to the Finance Office for determination of refundable fees and processing of the refund. The Finance Office shall inform the student of the outcome in writing copying to the Student Support Office for follow up on student completion of the ‘Withdrawal Checklist’ procedure before disbursement of the refund. The refund request procedure with approved refund payment is to be completed within 7 working days from the receipt of the request. All refunds will be recorded in the DMS and updated to FPS service provider for any cancellation.
HWA’s refund policy stipulates as follows:
% of [the amount of fees paid under Schedules B and C (of Standard PEI-Student Contract)]
If Student’s written notice of withdrawal is received:
more than  days before the Course Commencement Date
before, but not more than  days before the Course Commencement Date
after, but not more than  days after the Course Commencement Date
more than  days after the Course Commencement Date
*All application fee and miscellaneous fees are non-refundable.